miércoles, 24 de agosto de 2011

Spill the Beans

As I was sitting in church this past Sunday I had a revealing thought. I couldn't even tell you what was said in the sermon or worship song that brought upon this thought. The sermon, preached by a wonderful teacher here named Craig Beatty, was about Abraham and many new thoughts on the story of sacrificing were mentioned. My epiphany didn't have much to do with Abraham, I don't think, unless it was a tangent thought that resulted from something mentioned in the sermon. My mind went to specific stressors that I have been dealing with in my job here, and I realized that in all the things I've prayed about since I arrived here, I have not talked to God about my classroom. That's crazy! That is why I am here, and I haven't even thought to say "Hey God, so this is what is beginning to stress me out in my job..."

Earlier today I was reminded of this again, when I was explaining to some friends another unrelated situation that stresses me out. Yet, I haven't been talking to God about that either. So just now I made a list of other things that I really haven't been praying about, and they are some pretty common threads of thoughts and emotions in my daily life. Hmm....

If God is our Father, or Papa Dios as he is known on this island, then why aren't I talking to him about these everyday things that direct my thoughts and actions? Perhaps somethings are difficult to face God with, because I know what He will tell me and it's uncomfortable with. Or perhaps I just don't think to talk to Him about it. There are different reasons for different situations I assume, however God is our Father. If God is the Father, shouldn't we be the child that at the end of the day curls up in his lap and just spill our beans about our day, as insignificant as some things may appear? Wouldn't Papa Dios want to hear anything that we have to say, just as any father would feel about a conversation with his child? The Gospels do tell us that God has a softspot for children and we should have faith like them. Perhaps I am taking that out of context, yet perhaps that encompasses talking to Him about anything and everything we can think of, because that is what we would do with our parents as a child. Let me know your thoughts!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario