sábado, 29 de octubre de 2011

Jehovah-Jireh

The Israelites used many names to refer to God. I like this idea because when we refer to God, what to do we say?  "Dear God..." I just feel that is a very impersonal way to connect with Him.  Here in Puerto Rico, God is often referred to as Papa Dios. This name places a very personal connotation on God as our father. When the Israelites called to Him, they would call to Him according to His characteristics and the role He played in their lives.  For example, here are some following names that I learned this week during my Bible study (Beth Moore's A Woman's Heart: God's Dwelling Place):
  • El Elyon: The Most High God
  • El Shaddai: The Caregiver
  • Jehovah-Shamma: The Lord is present
  • Jehovah-Jireh: God will provide
  • Jehovah-Rapha: God who heals
     I want to talk about Jehovah-Jireh right now, because I feel like this is the name that God has been trying to get me to grasp since I set foot in Puerto Rico. Actually, to be fair to God, I think He's been sending me this message for a long time previous to my arrival, but I just didn't care to learn it. Today I realized that prior to my arrival, I was so much blinding by what God was not providing for me (what I thought He should have been providing for me), that I didn't care to see anything else, including WHY He wasn't providing what I wanted at that time.

     God provided manna for the Israelites in the desert every single day. He provided for them what they needed WHEN they needed it. That's what He does with me, with us too. He has not only given me exactly what I need for physical life here (food, a place to live, items for my classroom, kitchen supplies, etc), but He has gone further. He cares about the basic needs of daily life, yes, but not as much as He does about our emotional, social, and spiritual needs. He has given me the fellowship that I needed so badly with all of the amazing friends here. Yet He has given me the push, the nudge, and the reasons that I needed to get back into studying the Bible and spending time with Him. Being apathetic for so long wasn't good for me, and to be the person that I have a feeling He wants me to be in life, then it was time to jump back on the bandwagon. The way I feel about God right now is nowhere close to how I felt a months ago.

Jehovah-Jireh provides for ALL needs in our lives. Keep in mind, however, that the Israelites had to wake up every morning, go out and gather the manna. He will provide for our needs, that is true, but we also have be willing to receive it.

Last thought: The Israelites gathered enough for those in their tent. Why don't we also give what God has provided to us, to those who are in need or for those who cannot gather it on their own?

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario